Dozens of Yemeni Children Killed in Saudi Coalition Airstrike
There was another Saudi coalition airstrike on a crowded market in northern Yemen today. Dozens of civilians have been killed and dozens more injured. Many of the dead and injured were children whose school bus was hit in the attack:
Death toll rises to 41 people and 55 injures in an attack by Saudi airstrikes on a school bus in Dhahian area of Saada in northern #Yemen.
A new massacre committed today days after the massacre of #Hodeidah‘s hospital and fish market. pic.twitter.com/rIm4SKVAYA
— Fatik Al-Rodaini (@Fatikr) August 9, 2018
Watch this video and share it to the world:
This child was happy with his new #UNICEF BAG, but #Saudi led coalition targeted his school bus today and killed\injured dozens of his classmates in a local market in Dahian area #Saada #Yemen.#Stop_killing_Yemeni_Children. pic.twitter.com/mzCfFlHsBN
— Ahmad Algohbary (@AhmadAlgohbary) August 9, 2018
— Mohammed Al-Asaadi (@alasaadim) August 9, 2018
Coalition attacks on Yemeni markets are unfortunately all too common. The Saudis and their allies know they can strike civilian targets with impunity because the Western governments that arm and support them never call them out for what they do. The U.S. continues to arm and refuel coalition planes despite ample evidence that the coalition has been deliberately attacking civilian targets. At the very least, the coalition hits civilian targets with such regularity that they are ignoring whatever procedures they are supposed to be following to prevent that. The weapons that the U.S., Britain, and other arms suppliers provide them are being used to slaughter wedding-goers, hospital patients, and schoolchildren, and U.S. refueling of coalition planes allows them to carry out more of these attacks than they otherwise could. Today’s attack ranks as one of the worst.
Saada has come under some of the most intense attacks from the coalition bombing campaign. The coalition illegally declared the entire area a military target three years ago, and ever since they have been blowing up homes, markets, schools, water treatment systems, and hospitals without any regard for the innocent civilians that are killed and injured.
The official U.S. line on support for the war is that even more civilians would be killed if the U.S. weren’t supporting the coalition. Our government has never provided any evidence to support this, and the record shows that civilian casualties from Saudi coalition airstrikes have increased over the last year. The Saudis and their allies either don’t listen to any of the advice they’re receiving, or they know they won’t pay any price for ignoring it. As long as the U.S. arms and refuels coalition planes while they slaughter Yemeni civilians in attacks like this one, our government is implicated in the war crimes enabled by our unstinting military assistance. Congress can and must halt that assistance immediately.
Update: CNN reports on the aftermath of the airstrike:
The International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) said that a hospital it supports in Saada had received 29 dead bodies of “mainly children” under 15 years of age, and 40 injured, including 30 children.
“(The hospital) is very busy. They’ve been receiving wounded and dead since the morning and it is non-stop ,” ICRC head of communications and spokesperson Mirella Hodeib told CNN.
Second Update: The Associated Press reports that the death toll stands at 43 with another 63 injured.
Third Update: The death toll has reportedly risen to 50. 77 were injured.