The American Conservative (TAC) seeks a director of development to lead and manage its fundraising infrastructure in support of TAC’s mission of recovering and extending the insights of prudential conservatism in light of contemporary circumstances. TAC addresses such fundamental themes as:
- In foreign affairs, America must be guided by realism and restraint.
- Domestic policy should serve the well being of the American middle class and the mediating institutions of civil society.
- The Constitution’s protections of citizens against the power of the state must be reclaimed and jealously guarded.
- The ideal of self-government is best served by the promotion of localism and decentralization.
- In America today what passes for “conservatism” too often fails to conserve our best traditions—and therefore must be challenged.
TAC pursues its mission by publishing hundreds of essays, articles, reviews, and blog posts each year in The American Conservative print magazine and at theamericanconservative.com; by training and providing an outlet for young journalists; and by hosting special conferences and events.
- Managing and prioritizing all development-related tasks
- Cultivating relationships with current donors
- Writing, calling, and meeting with potential donors
- Willingness to fly and able to drive; travel will account for roughly 20% of job’s time
- Planning and coordinating direct mail solicitations
- Managing donor database; tracking and recording all donor data and communications
- Writing letters and completing grants for potential foundation supporters
Candidates should understand and have enthusiasm for The American Conservative’s work and mission, possess strong writing and communications skills, and have experience in successful non-profit fundraising. At least 1-2 years of development experience preferred. The job is located at TAC’s offices in the heart of Washington, D.C., although we are open to other arrangements depending on the candidate’s circumstances. Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three references to TAC president Jeremy Beer at [email protected].