The American Conservative is now accepting applications for summer internships. Join a start-up team dedicated to reestablishing principled, reality-based conservatism in the United States. The tagline on the cover of the magazine best encapsulates the driving motivation behind our efforts: ideas over ideology, principles over party.
Editorial interns gain experience in all aspects of producing the website and print magazine. Our priority is intellectual honesty and we are dedicated to producing frank, original arguments based on substantive analysis. This internship offers real experience across all the moving parts of a media organization with exposure to both editorial and marketing.
Editorial Intern responsibilities include:
- Preparing pieces for the web, writing headlines, curating images
- Contributing headlines and story ideas
- Proofreading, editing
- Conducting research
- Managing TAC’s presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr
- Devising strategies for audience development and engagement
- Participating in team meetings
Clerical duties, such as answering the phone and handling the mail, are also involved.
All candidates should possess:
- Eagerness to work tirelessly in a small but ambitious team
- Superb writing and editing ability
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Love of considered, lengthy journalism as well as an appreciation of horse-race politics
- Excellent news/culture/opinion judgment
- A background in intellectual conservatism and keen understanding of The American Conservative’s sensibility.
Interns will join our growing team in Washington, DC, from May through August, and will receive a stipend. College students or recent graduates who would like to apply should send a résumé, cover letter, and two brief writing samples to [email protected] by April 5. We’ll post more information about our fall 2013 internships in the coming months.